Delilah the Pineapple

University atheist society ordered out of freshers' fair for displaying 'blasphemous' pineapple called Mohammed
So said the headline in the Daily Mail.

University of Reading
University of Reading (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Apparently the Reading University Atheist, Humanist and Secularist Society (RAHS) said they wanted to celebrate free speech and promote their upcoming debate 'Should we respect religion?' So they popped a pineapple on their stall and labelled it 'the Prophet Mohammed' but they were ordered to remove the offending fruit by union staff who said their actions were causing 'upset and distress' to a number of Muslim students and other societies.

I think that they've answered their own question with a big, fat no. But I do wonder why people seem to take delight in deliberately causing offence under the banner of 'free speech'. It's not as if there's a historical trend in naming pineapples Mohammed, or that all pineapples are really named 'Delilah' and they're challenging gender norms, or it forms a theological mainstay of Dawkinology. I can only assume that their egos know no bounds in their insensitivity to other people and causing such offence to their Muslims neighbours gives them a thrill.

However, I do have a grudging admiration in that they have moved on from the soft target of Christ and Christians. Less of a Born to be Wild as long as I'm home for me tea and more of a Born to be Wild as long as I don't have to walk home in the dark type of free speech warrior.

For me I think I'll take more regard of what Paul says rather than worship at the altar of free speech with this lot at the RAHS:
Romans 12:17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have good regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the bleak midwinter

Blogcatalog Widget Removed