Posterous or Tumblr

I've been having a rummage at convenient ways to add content to my online presence. I had my blogs, my twitter account, my picasaweb account and others. Then I came across Tumblr and Posterous.

Both seemed to do very similar things but there were a number of things that made me decide to use Posterous.

First off, Tumblr is extremely clunky when using Icecat on my Zenwalk laptop. It's not a problem exclusive to Tumblr but any application that relies too much on Javascript, or too much of the wrong type of Javascript ends up this way on my laptop.

Secondly Posterous can cross-post to wherever I want. So it's going to my blogs, image repositores and Youtube account where appropriate. And Psterous will also reformat stuff to fit wherever it's being sent. This is a serious timesaver.

Thirdly Posterous seems much more 'natural' to use than Tumblr. I really struggled making head or tail of using Tumble. Some have commented that Posterous has been 'engineered' and Tumblr 'designed'. Given that I am an engineer then maybe that's what swayed me!

So I'll be posting a bit using Posterous to see how it works out and how much use it will be. I'd be interested in people's take on the Posterous/Tumblr debate so feel free to comment.

Comments

  1. I've heard of Tumblr, but not Posterous, but I am

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'I am' ?

    Did your connection drp or something?

    You can see my posterous at http://chrishall57.posterous.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The main thing, Chris, is to post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like Disqus lost some of my typing. I've heard of Tumblr, but not of Posterous, and I'm not sure what either of them do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you think of blogger or wp as blogging and twitter as micro-blogging then posterous and tumblr position themselves as something in-between. They both offer convenience in posting and formatting. And they do work exceptionally well in this manner. For posterous you add content by email or a web interface. It does all the formatting and including multimedia for you. So just send a link of a youtube video or even send your own video and it embeds it for you. With tumblr you can email, use the web or even phone it through and it will set up an audio post. I've also asked posterous to pull in the feed from this blog to recreate all the posts here, including comments which it has done.

    They also cross-post for you. So I have posterous sending any posts as a tweet, any video posts also upload to my youtube account and any images are loaded to my picasa account. They offer other platforms as well.

    Both posterous and tumblr offer less in the way of subsidiary content like the blogcatalog and mybloglog widgets although they do offer a links service.

    I've also renamed my posterous to thesignofthecross.posterous.com. It is tempting to just jump ship and go fully with posterous. We shall see, but as James says the main thing is to post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Former Tumblr user here, but been using Posterous since its release. I love it. Can't really elaborate much

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm beginning to love Posterous as well. It's just too easy to use.

    I've decided I don't like Tumblr, I just don't click with it.

    Thanks for the response

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Spammers, trolls and blatantly offensive posts will be summarily deleted. My blog, my rules. Otherwise comment away!

Popular posts from this blog

In the bleak midwinter

Blogcatalog Widget Removed